Investing in Leading Edge Community Energy and EV Pilot Projects
November 11, 2021
As energy needs grow in the next decade, the IESO sees the potential in distributed energy resources such as electric vehicles, small scale generation, storage and demand response playing a role in meeting Ontario’s long-term energy needs. To help seize this opportunity, the IESO’s Grid Innovation Fund is supporting six pilot projects that will demonstrate how local energy supplies can work within local and provincial electricity networks to increase reliability and reduce costs. The IESO invested a total of $2.4 million, with an additional $3.7 million from project partners.
More specifically, these pilot projects will explore:
- Vehicle-to-home back-up power – a partnership with Peak Power Inc., and Hydro One Networks Inc.
- Vehicle-to-grid charging – a partnership with Sky Clean Energy, Hero Energy & Engineering, Volta Research Inc., and York University.
- A local EV charging platform – a partnership with Elocity Technologies Inc., Toronto Hydro-Electric System Limited, Waterloo North Hydro, CUE at Ryerson University, Optym Inc., Celestica, Centennial College, and Energy Web Foundation.
- Coordination of provincial and local electricity networks – a partnership with Survalent, Elexicon Energy, London Hydro, Waterloo North Hydro, and Oakville Hydro.
- Creation of local energy markets – a partnership with Powerconsumer Inc., Newmarket-Tay Power Distribution, Elexicon Energy and NODES-tech.
- Enhanced local electricity demand forecasts - a partnership with Peak Power Inc., Oshawa Power, and EnerFORGE.