The Local Distribution Company (LDC) Tool Kit provides information and planning resources needed for LDCs to design an effective Conservation and Demand Management (CDM) plan to serve their customers. The Tool Kit below includes rules, targets and budgets, reference standards, guidelines and tools.
Energy Conservation Agreement
The Energy Conservation Agreement sets out the contractual relationship between the IESO and LDCs under the Conservation First Framework.
Targets & Budgets
- LDC CDM Targets and Budgets
- A table showing the target and budget allocated to each LDC using LDC Target and Budget Allocation Methodology.
- LDC Target and Budget Allocation Methodology
- The methodology used to determine the LDC CDM targets and budgets.
- Target Exchange Guideline
- The requirements for exchanging or trading CDM targets throughout the term of an LDC’s Energy Conservation Agreement (ECA).
CDM Plan and Program Development
- CDM Plan Submission and Review Criteria Rules
- Rules for the roles, responsibilities and timing for CDM Plan submissions and approval criteria.
- CDM Plan Amendment Guidelines
- Intended to provide LDCs with guidance in understanding CDM Plan amendment and resubmission requirements, criteria, and processes. It also outlines the process for minor amendments to a CDM Plan.
- CDM Plan Template
- Workbook to be used for the development of a LDC CDM Plan
- CDM Energy Efficiency Cost Effectiveness Tool
- This workbook can be used to calculate the cost effectiveness of customized CDM initiatives and programs.
- Conservation and Demand Management Energy Efficiency Cost Effectiveness Guide
- Description of standard industry metrics to assess the cost effectiveness of obtaining CDM energy savings.
- Financial Modeling Tool
- Workbook comparing the funding options available to LDCs. The model will enable the IESO and LDCs to compare the funding models in total and by program or sector as well as evaluate the impact of fulfilling and exceeding savings targets under each model.
- Overview of Program Archetypes
- Program archetypes represent average project or measure-level savings and costs associated with some province-wide programs. This archetype overview allows LDCs to forecast energy savings based on a projection of participation levels for each program archetype.
Reporting, Settlements and Financial Information
- Data and Reporting Requirement Rules
- Requirements for data and report exchange between LDC and IESO including content, timing, frequency and data exchange format.
- Settlement Information Requirements Rules
- Rules for invoicing, payment, quarterly reconciliations, and IESO value-added services.
- Central Services Strategy and Rate Guideline
- Explanation of central services the IESO will provide to support the development and implementation of LDC CDM Plans as well as the preliminary per-unit fixed rates for IESO value-added services.
- Eligible Program Delivery Expenses Guideline
- Types of prudent and appropriate delivery and administration expenses that are eligible for funding received through approved CDM Plans. This guideline does not include expenses for customer incentive, participant-based variable funding or other funding defined in program rules.
Conservation Program and Pilot Development
- LDC Program Innovation Guideline
- This guideline describes the process for the development and implementation of new LDC pilot programs.
- IESO Pre-Consultation Request Form – Program and Pilot Business Cases
- This form is used to request a pre-consultation with the IESO in the design phase of LDC conservation programs and/or pilots.
- Process Diagram for IESO Review of Programs and Pilots
- The IESO review process for LDC program and pilot business cases.
- Business Case Template for Conservation Programs and Pilots – Version 1.2
- Business case template for new and changes to province-wide, regional and local programs as well as LDC Innovation Fund pilots.
- Business Case Template – Appendix A – Central Services Scope of Work
- Appendix A to be completed for accessing value-added and central services, and attached to the business case.
- Business Case Template – Appendix B – Central Services Gantt Chart
- Appendix B to be completed for accessing value-added and central services, and attached to business case.
- IESO Debrief Request Form – Program & Pilot Business Cases
- This form is used to request a debrief with the IESO following the submission of a business case for conservation programs and/or pilots.
- Avoiding Duplication Guideline
- An outline of the tests to be used to determine whether or not a local distributor program duplicates an existing province-wide or regional distributor program.
Collaboration and Multi-Site Customer
- Gas Collaboration Guideline
- How LDCs may collaborate with gas utilities as part of their CDM plans
- LDC Collaboration Fund Application and Funding Guideline
- The process for applying for funding through the LDC Collaboration Fund, including the criteria that will be used to assess and approve applications.
- Multi-Site Customer Guideline
- Strategies to enhance the coordination between LDCs and the IESO in promoting cost-effective CDM measures to customers with multiple locations across two or more service areas.
- Implementation Guideline for Multi-Site Customer Strategy
- Further detail on how to implement the guidelines. It includes three elements: 1) identifying high-potential customers; 2) engaging customers; and 3) making participation easy.
Evaluation, Measurement and Verification
- Evaluation, Measurement and Verification (EM&V) Protocols and Requirements
- Reference standard for use by LDCs, the IESO and other CDM stakeholders in Ontario. It provides guidance and instruction for the undertaking of a robust evaluation of CDM programs.
- Project Measurement and Verification Procedures (Retrofit Program)
- Procedures that guide LDCs and their project evaluators in selecting approaches and methods for estimating energy and demand savings of custom projects in the Retrofit Program.
- Evaluation Guideline
- The evaluation process, including: roles and responsibilities, general scope, evaluation schedule, data requirements and governing documents (e.g. EM&V protocols).
- Measurement and Verification Guideline
- The governance, roles and responsibilities and principles for measurement and verification (M&V) activities for province-wide, regional and local conservation programs.
- Mid-Term Review Guideline
- Guidance on the process, timing and content of a formal mid-term review of the implementation of the 2015-2020 Conservation First Framework.
Achievable Potential Study (2016)
- Short-term APS worksheet
- Province-wide APS energy efficiency short-term results worksheet.
- Long-term APS worksheet
- Province-wide APS energy efficiency long-term results worksheet.
Achievable Potential Study (2014)
- Achievable Potential Calculator (.xls)
- This workbook calculates the energy efficiency potential for a local area.
- Achievable Potential Calculator User Guide
- User guide for the Achievable Potential Calculator for a local area.
- Achievable Potential Primer
- A summary of the province-wide Achievable Potential study completed in 2014.
Behind-the-Meter Generation (BMH) and Fuel Switching
- Behind-the-Meter Generation Projects Rules
- Parameters for eligible behind-the-meter generation (BMG) projects that may be accepted into conservation programs.
- Eligible BMG Projects Review Process Guideline
- The review and approval process for incentives for eligible behind-the-meter generation (BMG) projects and studies under the Process and Systems Upgrades Program.
- Fuel Switching Guideline
- How fuel switching measures may be integrated into conservation programs designed by local distribution companies (LDCs) in the 2015-2020 CDM Framework.
- Brand Use Rules
- Save on Energy brand use standards and rules as required through the ECA.
- Save on Energy Marketing Standard
- Marketing standards to ensure that the Save on Energy brand is applied in a consistent manner across all CFF marketing materials. Note: Marketing materials are available to LDCs on the Marketing Asset Portal. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Pay-for-Performance Rules
- Pay-for-performance rules for: a) how the LDC can elect to receive pay-for-performance funding; b) how pay-for-performance rates are established and changed; and c) how the LDC should budget for, and will be paid, pay-for-performance funding.
- Pay-for-Performance Guideline
- An overview of the pay-for-performance funding mechanism and the process for electing to receive pay-for-performance funding
- Conservation in Regional Planning Primer
- This primer shows linkages between conservation and regional planning and provides information to help the development of CDM plans and distributor programs that can contribute to, and benefit from, regional and community energy planning goals.
- LDC Regions and Contacts
- List of LDC regions and contacts.
- Northern Ontario Planning Zones
- Map of Northern Ontario zones for planning purposes.
- Southern Ontario Planning Zones
- Map of Southern Ontario zone for planning purposes.