Engineer/Technical Officer – System Performance & Models
(OLLD Development & Implementation)
Type of Position
Temporary - 15 months
An Engineer/Technical Officer – System Performance & Models will analyze the performance of the Ontario power system and its interaction with the interconnections. This analysis is performed for the purpose of determining transmission transfer capability and for establishing grid operating limits and instructions to manage the reliable operation of the IESO-controlled grid and the efficient operation of the IESO-administered market.
The accountabilities of an Engineer/Technical Officer include:
- Modeling and assessing the performance of new or revised connections to the IESO-controlled grid.
- Assessing the future needs of the IESO-controlled grid, and evaluating the technical merits and practicality of proposed transmission reinforcement and expansion plans.
- Developing operating limits and requirements for the secure operation of the IESO-controlled grid.
- Issuing operating instructions and developing monitoring capability for new facilities and planned system configurations to ensure operating security and load supply reliability.
- Participating in joint studies with neighbouring reliability co-ordinators, planning authorities, and reliability councils to develop operating instructions and procedures for the secure operation of the interconnected bulk power system.
- Participating in industry forums and working groups, and collaborate with suppliers, developers, neighbouring system operators, and reliability organizations to develop standards and practices to assess the performance and operation of generation and transmission facilities and the requirements for the reliable operation of the interconnected bulk power system.
- Developing power system models used in power system analysis.
- Forecasting transmission transfer capability to assess system reliability and to support a viable electricity market.
- Resolving bulk power system operating problems, developing solutions and proposing recommendations.
- Providing analytical support for development of market rules, policies and procedures.
- Assessing requests for exemptions to market rules, and assisting in monitoring compliance.
- Participating in developing and delivering training to IESO staff on issues pertaining to system reliability.
- Implement the corporate framework for monitoring, documenting, investigating and promoting market participant compliance with the Market Rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures governing the market place.
- Undertake investigations of allegations of non-compliance and breaches of the Market Rules by Participants. This includes the collection of data, communicating and/or meeting with the Participant(s). Determine and recommend to Management the sanctions, if any, to be applied. Implement decisions of Management with respect to the penalty or sanction resulting from an investigation.
- Maintain a current knowledge of compliance activities relating to Market Rules, Participant activities, and IESO policies and procedures, for the purposes of identifying non-compliant activities by Participants, or other activities having an adverse impact on market efficiency, effective competition, or reliability.
- On an on-going basis, assist in reviewing the effectiveness of existing monitoring and assessment processes, systems and procedures. Develop and implement effective and efficient improvements as necessary.
- Communicate with Participants and other groups as necessary to respond to requests for data and information, while respecting confidentiality criteria. Work with Participants to promote an understanding of, and compliance with, Market Rules, including the appropriate use and interpretation of information relating to investigation processes.
- Ensure that the confidentiality of data obtained from Participants pursuant to compliance enforcement processes is safeguarded.
- Perform other duties as required.
Requires a good understanding of power system modelling and interconnected bulk power system planning and operation particularly as it relates to system voltage and stability performance. Must have a good understanding of the design and operation of power system equipment, be familiar with the Ontario bulk power system and the eastern interconnection. Must have a good understanding of bulk power system reliability criteria and the IESO-administered market rules and procedures.
Essential knowledge, experience and qualifications
- Engineering knowledge of electrical theory, power system analysis and control, mathematics and other specialty related courses to carry out engineering or analytical studies related to the operation and planning of the bulk power system.
- Exposure to overall power system planning and operation through experience and training as an engineer in this technical field.
- Knowledge in the development of power system models, in analytical study techniques related to power system planning, operation and reliability assessments, and in the use of simulation software, particularly PTI/PSSE, and DSA’s VSAT and TSAT.
- Familiarity with engineering design concepts related to the function and characteristics of power system components.
- Familiarity with power system operation practices and policies.
- Familiarity with North American power system operation, standards and practices, market operations and specific knowledge of the design and operation of the IESO-administered markets.
- Ability to plan and organize work, and to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to present complex technical results in a precise and clearly understandable fashion.
- Fluency in both oral and written English to communicate effectively; strong technical writing capability to prepare effective reports and presentations; excellent presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills and leadership qualities.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team environment where different opinions and controversies have to be managed, negotiated, and resolved diplomatically.
- Ability to influence peers and others in the organization.
- Comprehensive appreciation of, and strong personal commitment to, customer needs and corporate objectives.
- Have a track record of developing trust, mutual respect and co-operative working relationships.
- Have a good understanding of industry trends, transmission open access and the IESO role in the market.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to continuous improvement principles.
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO's business objectives.
- Customer Focus
- Drive for Results
- Understanding People
- Impact and Influence
- Consulting Orientation
What the IESO Offers
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.