Senior Audior - Finance and Operations
Type of Position
Internal Audit provides independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the IESO operations. Internal Audit contributes towards the accomplishment of the IESO objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, internal controls and management information systems, and governance processes throughout the organization. To fulfill its mandate, Internal Audit delivers the services and projects as defined in the Internal Audit Services Plan and as approved by the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors, and reports the results of projects to IESO management and the Audit Committee.
Support the Internal Audit department to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services on risk management, controls, and governance processes to management and to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Plan and conduct financial, operational, compliance and IT audits throughout the company. This involves access to strategic plans, management and financial information, records (including personnel records), and all other activities and operations of the company. This also involves application of professional standards as defined within the department Charter.
- Evaluate the effectiveness, efficiency & economy of management processes, systems, procedures and internal controls, assess impact and develop recommendations to address risk exposures and identify opportunities for improvement to business processes.
- Required to lead discussions on audit observations and recommendations after assessing the nature and scope of audit observations and determining relative impact to processes or to the company.
- Plan and perform risk assessments of major processes, systems, and components throughout all areas of the company.
- Provides advice and guidance on the development, improvement, and application of internal management, financial and IT controls, policies, standards, and procedures and support management in ensuring compliance.
- Participate in systems development by advising on internal controls or by review of procedures before implementation.
- Co-ordinate and monitor work of staff on large projects, including lead project, assign work, review and evaluate work performed by the assigned staff, evaluate results, and draft audit reports based on multiple input.
- Assist in the continuing development of audit plans, departmental auditing procedures and methodologies that are consistent with relevant professional standards. Identify new developments in the field of auditing which have applicability within the department.
- Maintain and develop knowledge and skills to ensure an awareness of and changes to relevant professional guidance and audit approaches through ongoing contact with, and participation in, discussions with peers in the auditing community and through published materials.
- Perform special assignments, including but not limited to leading or undertaking special studies and assignments on a broad range of technical and other subjects relating to audit activities and other special requests from senior management or the Audit Committee. May include presenting research material on audit methodologies, approach, framework, to senior management.
- Requires knowledge of accounting and auditing subjects including relevant internal auditing standards and risk assessment practices to plan and conduct, financial, IT and operational, audits or reviews throughout the company. Requires business administration knowledge including the use of data extraction/manipulation tools and other computer software applications. Requires communication skills necessary to meet the presentation and negotiation requirements for the position. This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the successful completion of a four-year university education in an appropriate field/discipline and completion of a professional designation recognized by the Institute of Internal Auditors such as but not limited to: CA, CMA, CGA, CIA, or CFA.
- Requires organizational skills and leadership qualities;
- Requires communication, negotiation and presentation skills to present complex results in an understandable fashion, and to prepare effective reports and presentations;
- Requires ability to work well within a team environment where different opinions and perspectives have to be managed, negotiated, and resolved diplomatically;
- Requires track record of developing trust, mutual respect and co-operative working relationships;
- Requires comprehensive appreciation of, and strong personal commitment to, customer needs and corporate objectives;
- Requires a strong commitment to continuous improvement principles;
- Requires strong analytical and reasoning skills to understand business processes and risks, plan work programs, execute work programs, make observations and recommendations for improvement.
The core competencies listed below are important to achieving success in this position and in delivering the IESO's business objectives.
- Makes self fully available especially when customer is going through a critical period;
- Makes concrete attempts to add value to the customer.
Drive for Results
- Sets definite stretch goals;
- Articulates plans effectively.
- Understands the reasons for an individual's ongoing feelings, behaviour or concerns.
- Regularly seeks and acts on opportunities to improve the processes;
- Takes a holistic view when identifying own priorities and plans;
- Gives priority to benefits for the whole company over "quick wins" for own area.
Impact and Influence
- Ability to influence peers and others in the organization;,
- Demonstrates sensitivity and understanding of relationships in detecting underlying concerns; interests or emotions in others and uses that understanding to develop own arguments as well as effective responses to objections.
- Identifies opportunities which go beyond own area of responsibility and which will add value to customers;
- Proactively brings new approaches, methods, tools and technologies to the customer's attention;
- Leads activities to try new approaches or to take advantage of opportunities;
- Works as an integral part of the customer's team in introducing and educating people to new value-added approaches.
- Plans and prioritizes actions;
- Takes action now to address problems or realize opportunities within the coming year;
- Puts in extra effort to create opportunities or pre-empt potential problems.
What the IESO Offers:
- Competitive market wages;
- Comprehensive benefit programs;
- Programs and policies to support a balanced lifestyle;
- A challenging fast paced team environment;
- Opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry.
If you have the experience and qualifications for this position, please apply on-line through our online application form.
We thank all candidates for their interest in opportunities with the IESO. While we appreciate your submissions, we regret that we can only contact those candidates selected for interviews. The IESO is an equal opportunity employer.